Jump to topic
A hormonal imbalance can cause a wide variety of symptoms and conditions. This can affect women and men.
In the past, you'd need to see a doctor to determine if you were suffering from a hormonal imbalance. The doctor would then run a range of tests.
With at-home health testing kits nowadays, checking for hormonal imbalance is easier. Leaving your home is no longer necessary.
There are at-home hormone testing kits for women, men, or both sexes. The test kits are used as a tool to diagnose certain conditions. They help narrow down the cause of health issues related to either too high or too low hormone levels.
In this article, we’ll look at the best hormone testing kits that both women and men can use. While some of these kits are sex-specific, others are ideal for anyone.
These test kits come from the top at-home health testing companies. All of them provide reliable results you can count on.
What an at-home hormone test can tell you
The human body produces around 50 different hormones that serve a wide variety of functions.
There are different uses for these endogenous chemicals. Some hormones are related to stress. Others regulate metabolism or libido.
Therefore, it stands to reason that the number of things that at-home testing kits for hormones can tell you will vary greatly.
There are hormone testing kits made specifically for men, women, and those that are suitable for both sexes.
The sex-specific kits generally cover sex hormones more common to the physiology of a man or a woman. These include progesterone, estradiol, and testosterone. Some hormones affect both sexes equally, such as stress hormones and those produced by the thyroid.
Several reputable at-home health testing companies make tests that cover these key hormones. These tests will measure the level of hormones you produce and tell you whether they’re normal, low, or high.
They can be used to diagnose conditions such as hyperthyroidism or hyperthyroidism. They’ll see if a hormonal imbalance is causing undesirable symptoms, such as irritability, hair loss, an irregular period, or weight gain.
Our top picks for at-home hormone testing
EverlyWell’s physician-reviewed Women’s Health Test measures ten hormones and one antibody that affect a woman’s health. An imbalance in any one of these hormones can lead to a number of undesirable symptoms.
Some common symptoms that are related to hormonal imbalances include:
- difficulty concentrating
- weight gain
- skin problems
- irregular menstrual cycle
- hair loss
The Women’s Health Test measures the following hormones:
- luteinizing hormone
- follicle-stimulating hormone
- thyroid-stimulating hormone
- free T3
- free T4
- thyroid peroxidase antibodies
The test is easy to take and requires both a saliva and blood sample. Your personalized results will include steps you can take to help get your hormones back in balance.
- CLIA-certified laboratories analyze blood and saliva sample.
- A board-certified physician in your state reviews test results.
- The report includes actionable results you can discuss with your doctor
- Saliva and blood test is quick and easy to take and has everything you need. It includes a lancet for nearly painless blood sample collection
- Shipping costs are included, and results will be returned within days after the lab receives your samples
The amount of testosterone you produce can directly affect your health in several ways.
Testosterone levels that are above or below normal can lead to several symptoms such as:
- decreased muscle mass
- weight gain
- lower libido
- hair loss
- erectile dysfunction
EverlyWell’s Testosterone Test will tell you if your testosterone levels are abnormal. It will then give you some steps you can take to get them back into balance.
The non-invasive test requires nothing more than a saliva sample to deliver your personalized results. Your report will tell you if your testosterone levels are either low, normal, or high.
- A CLIA-certified lab analyzes the saliva sample
- Testosterone is rated at low, normal, and high levels
- Privacy meets HIPAA compliance
- Digital results are sent directly to your PC or mobile device
- The report includes lifestyle changes you can make to adjust your testosterone levels positively
The Men’s Health Test, also offered by EverlyWell, covers the four hormones most likely to impact a man’s health. This includes cortisol, the main stress hormone which affects your energy levels.
The saliva and blood test also checks your DHEA-S levels. This is a hormone that is a precursor to the main sex hormones testosterone and estradiol. The other two hormones covered are estradiol and testosterone, which are both sex hormones.
Like all EverlyWell tests, the Men’s Health Test is reviewed by a board-certified physician from your state. It includes actionable results.
The saliva and blood test is easy to take. It requires a saliva sample and a small blood sample, using a finger prick that’s included with the kit.
- Four hormones that affect weight, sex drive, mood, energy, and muscle mass are covered
- A detailed explanation of what your results mean to you
- Results that are actionable and can be discussed with your physician
- Hormone levels measured at high, normal, and low levels
- Report delivered directly to your device within a few days of receiving your samples at EverlyWell’s CLIA-certified lab
Cortisol is your body’s main stress hormone. It affects a variety of functions, including mood, energy levels, and sleep.
Normally, your cortisol levels are at their peak in the mornings and begin to lower by the evening. If your daily cortisol levels are out of balance, it can lead to a variety of undesirable symptoms such as:
- lack of focus
- disturbed sleep
- weight gain
HealthConfirm’s Stress Hormone Plus checks your cortisol levels four times a day. This is to make sure you’re maintaining the proper balance as you go through your daily routine.
The test requires four saliva samples, one taken in the morning, at noon, in the evening, and at night. Your results are reviewed by a physician and delivered to whatever device you choose.
- Cortisol is measured throughout the day to give you a detailed analysis of how the hormone level changes
- Saliva sample is painless and easy to collect
- Return shipping is prepaid
- Ideal for both men and women who are concerned about their cortisol levels
- Results returned to your HealthConfirm profile within three to five business days
The Hormone Vitality Essentials test kit measures the three main sex hormones, testosterone, progesterone, and estradiol. While progesterone and estradiol imbalances are more common in women and testosterone imbalances in men, all of these hormones are present in both sexes.
The levels of your sex hormones naturally change as you age. However, when they’re not at the proper levels, it can lead to a variety of issues, such as:
- sleep problems
- lower sex drive
- decreased muscle mass
The kit includes a spit tube for submitting a saliva sample. The testing company analyzes the sample to let you know if your hormone levels are low, normal, or high for your age.
The three-panel report is easy to understand. It includes advice for getting your hormones back in balance and can be discussed with your healthcare provider for additional guidance.
- Key sex hormones present in both men and women are measured
- Results include actionable results that can be discussed with your healthcare provider
- Testing kit includes free shipping
- Report sent directly to your HealthConfirm profile within three to five business days after the lab receives your sample
- A licensed physician reviews hormone analysis.
The thyroid gland produces three hormones: thyroxine, triiodothyronine, and thyroid-stimulating hormone. These three hormones regulate metabolism.
When there is an overproduction of these hormones, it causes a condition called hyperthyroidism. When they’re under-produced, the condition is called hypothyroidism.
Hyperthyroidism can lead to fatigue, weight loss, sleep problems, anxiety, excessive sweating, low sex drive, and several other problems.
Hypothyroidism is linked with weight gain, hair loss, muscle cramps, depression, and other unpleasant side effects.
If you’re experiencing symptoms associated with either hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism, LetsGetChecked’s Thyroid Test is a great way to see if you may be suffering from one of these conditions.
The testing kit measures your levels of thyroid-stimulating hormone, free thyroxine, and free triiodothyronine to see if you have an over or under-active thyroid gland.
The blood test is physician-reviewed and analyzed by CLIA-certified and CAP-accredited labs to deliver accurate results while offering excellent privacy protection.
- Physician-reviewed results, and if you test positive, you can discuss it with a LetsGetChecked nurse
- Return shipping to the laboratory is included
- The sample is processed in the same labs used by hospitals, governments, and primary care providers
- Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism are tested by looking at hormonal imbalances in thyroid-stimulating hormone, free thyroxine, and free triiodothyronine
- Test results available online within two to five business days after your sample is received
Which Test is Best for You?
Men experiencing symptoms such as low sex drive, issues with weight, hair loss, or an irregular mood should consider taking EverlyWell’s Testosterone Test or the Men’s Health Test.
Women going through stress, irregular menstrual cycles, fatigue, or weight gain may want to consider the Women’s Health Test.
The Hormone Vitality Test is great for both men and women who are going through any of the above symptoms.
For issues related to an imbalance in the stress hormone cortisol, such as irritability, lack of sleep, problems focusing, and fatigue, the Stress Hormone Plus kit by HealthConfirm is ideal.
Finally, for symptoms related to either hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism, including weight gain or loss, fatigue, diarrhea or constipation, low sex drive, or an irregular period, you should try the Thyroid Test.