How Are Native Americans Related to East Asian Populations?
Updated on March 1, 2024
Back to top
back to top icon
DNA Testing
How Are Native Americans Related to East Asian Populations?

Genetic studies reveal that Native Americans share ancestry with East Asian populations.  Here’s what the evidence suggests:

  • Shared Ancestry – Approximately 67% of Native American DNA comes from East Asian ancestors, with the remaining 33% linked to Ancient West Eurasian populations
  • Migration Patterns – This data suggests that ancestors of Native Americans originated in eastern Siberia and crossed the Bering Land Bridge during the last Ice Age
  • DNA Evidence Mitochondrial DNA connects Native Americans to both China and Japan, supporting the idea of ancient migrations within Asia

Important Considerations Concerning Native Americans

  • Distinct Identity – While Native Americans share genetic links with East Asians, they’ve developed distinct cultures, languages, and identities over thousands of years. They are not considered Asian in the modern sense.
  • Jomon Theory – Research on dental morphology has not supported the theory that Native Americans descend specifically from the Jomon population of Japan. Evidence points further north in Siberia for their origins.

Native Americans have genetic roots in ancient East Asia, but their journey across the Bering Land Bridge led to the creation of unique and diverse cultures throughout the Americas.

It’s also important to note that while Native American populations share some genetic similarities with East Asian ancestors, there’s also a mix of other Eurasian DNA in their blood.

Know Your DNA Reviews

The Best DNA Test

Looking for a DNA test that's accurate and can tell you about your health and heritage?

Updated on March 1, 2024
Angela Natividad
Angela Natividad
Content Contributor
Angela is a full-time digital content manager and editor for Know Your DNA. She also contributes freelance articles to several local and international websites when she has the time. She's always been a voracious believer in finding the truth and ensuring the science is sound.